Monday, March 9, 2009

Garden Geek

It was my birthday last week (I'm 33 now thank you very much). In the wee hours of the morning on my birthday a group of friends decorated my house. Plastic flowers, balloons, streamers, and pink flamingos adorned the entrance. It looked great! In a temporary kind of way ;-)

I was talking with a friend how we should start a support group for our husbands. Spring is going to be here soon and with it the joys of planting and replanting! Jeff has accepted the fact that I rearrange plants the way some people move furniture in a room. We have been in our home for three years and are approaching our fourth summer here. Jeff was talking with a friend who he felt didn't quite grasp my replanting obsession. Jeff asked him, "How many plants (trees, shrubs, and perennials) do you think are in their original location?" The answer is: Not very many! I admit that the majority of plants have been moved at least once. Our neighbors Russ and Janie who see me puttering around will back Jeff up on that fact.

I was accusing Jeff of being a little crazy with the copious amount of fertilizer he puts on our lawn and shrub beds. Jeff replied that it was necessary to fertilize so much in order for the plants to survive the inevitable replanting. He has a point.

Here we are in March and already I have one tree and a few shrubs that are no longer welcome in my yard. I have found new homes for the plants to go to since we need room for the " vegetable garden". Last summer I fell in love with a backyard where the squash/ raspberry/ strawberry/ purple cabbage plants were integrated with the climbing roses and perennials. It was gorgeous yet functional! As I type this it is snowing. But I am scheming away...