Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Humble Pie

The internal dialogue went something like this…

Brain: Hey Janae is doing pretty good.
Body: (in a combative tone) No she isn’t.
Brain: Sure she is.
Body: No she isn’t. And I’ll prove it.

The day started with a nasty fall. This one left me with a wickedly colorful bruise on my hip and arm.

Erik needed a permission slip signed for a school outing. I took a pen and began to scrawl out his name on the “student name line” and then signed my name on the “parent’s signature line.” It looked pretty bad. I hoped Erik’s teacher wouldn’t think he was trying to forge his parent’s name. (I laugh as I remember a kid, Gary, from my own second grade class who sat behind me. I turned around and watched him forge his own mother’s signature so he could go on a fieldtrip.)

Later we had dinner at Jeff’s parent’s house along with some extended family. While I was talking with his cousins I had a laryngeal spasm (the description I have given in the past is that my windpipe will cramp and I can’t breathe until it relaxes). When I feel them coming on I stop talking/eating and just try to stay relaxed until it passes. When people don’t know what is going on it is alarming when one minute Janae is talking and then she is all of a sudden very quiet and not verbally responding.

With troubled looks on their faces the cousins asked “Are you okay? Are you choking?” I shook my head no to the choking questions and motioned for them to get Jeff so he could explain what was going on. So if you are around me when this happens, and I respond “no” to the choking questions, just wait for a minute and I will be okay. Though, for me, that will be a scary & frustrating minute (and embarrassing if you make a big fuss).

By the end of the day my body had successfully proven its point to my brain. I had had serving after serving of humble pie. It tastes nothing like a fresh homemade pie.

Humble pie is gross.