Friday, November 6, 2009

Introducing Daisy

A kid's wish list can get lengthy. And it was just a matter of time before a hamster made a reappearance on the list of must have items. When Erik did announce how he was saving up for another pet I had to remind him of an earlier conversation back in the days of Mother Bear...

Janae (aka Mom): "Whoa whoa whoa. That is fine if you want to buy another hamster. But, just so you know, I'm not doing any hamster cage cleaning this time."

Erik: "I'll do it."

Janae: "Do you remember the conversation we had when I asked you to clean Mother Bear's cage? As you were cleaning it you starting gagging and said you weren't cut out for this." (It was pretty funny when he said he. I just started laughing.)

Erik: "Yeah. But this time I'll do it."

With the terms agreed upon Erik happily began reassembling the hamster cage which had spent the past few months collecting dust in the garage. And I began accepting bets on how long it will be before I'm cleaning out hamster cages again. Just kidding. I think he is ready to take care of his own pet.

By Monday the necessary $7.00 was saved up in his Shamu wallet and we drove to a nearby pet store. Erik picked out a cute little orange and white hamster and we brought her home. He came up with the name "Daisy" and it seems to be a good fit.

At dinner Thursday we were sharing our high and lows. My high was that Daisy hadn't had any babies yet. (remembering how Mother Bear had 11 babies 4 or 5 days after we brought her home)