Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Lullaby

Two years ago when I was tucking Erik into bed I decided to sing "Silent Night" since Christmas was just days away. He loved it. Nearly every night since then he has requested that song. We probably sing it about 300 times a year, and I'm not kidding. (Usually just verse 1)

I haven't grown tired of it. If anything I love the song even more as it has become a daily reminder of my Savior. The melody is calming. The words are simple. At times when we sing the song I might tear up but usually not. Mostly I feel hope. I feel peace. I feel that overwhelming love that our Heavenly Father has for each of us. I want my children to grow up feeling that too.

How wonderful that we have Christmas to honor Him.

Silent night. Holy night. All is calm, all is bright
Round yon virgin mother and Child.
Holy Infant, so tender and mild,

Sleep in heavenly peace; Sleep in heavenly peace

Silent night. Holy night. Shepherds quake at the sight!
Glories stream from heaven afar; Heavenly hosts sing Al-le-lu-ia!
Christ, the Savior, is born! Christ, the Savior, is born!

Silent night. Holy night. Son of God, love's pure light
Radiant beams from thy holy face,
With the dawn of redeeming grace,
Jesus, Lord, at the birth; Jesus, Lord at thy birth.

Text: Joseph Mohr, trans. by John F. Young
Music: Franz Gruber