Monday, July 31, 2017

yes erik, no mom mom






What do you think of the note Erik made for me when he was four?   I can't recall the circumstances but HE WAS MAD.  What I do remember is a little brown-eyed-boy marching out of his bedroom and presenting me with this note.  I kept it as a reminder that I’m not always right and to listen to what he has to say.

I have a question. 

Q:  Did ANYONE ever sit down and tell you how hard parenting would be?

(Someone in the background shouts out, “That, my friend, is a dumb question!” in reference to the previous blog post.)

Touché!  I deserved that. 

But seriously, NO ONE ever told me how difficult it would be. 

Each phase has its set of challenges.  I want to parent consistently, except what works with Claire doesn’t always work with Megan and the same goes for Erik.  I want them to learn from my mistakes, but I know that with their personalities, many things they will have to learn in their own way. 

So I try to tell them I love them often.  Because, while I may not like how they might be acting at the moment, I do love them no matter what.  It’s a forever type of love.  

Here's to all you parents out there!