Thursday, July 20, 2017

als - voice banking


I am sitting here wondering, "Why didn't I EVER RECORD MY VOICE!"

That certainly was dumb of me.  There were about two or three years post diagnosis where I COULD HAVE HAD clear recordings of words and phrases to be used later for AAC (augmentative and alternative communication).  But I didn't. 

Time for some Q & A... 

Q: Why didn't you? 

A:  That is a great question.  

Sigh.  Honestly, probably because I was terrified of the disease.  I wanted to fight it, and in my mind, voice banking was admitting I couldn't stop what was happening.  And then I figured I could always do it "later."  So foolish.

Q:  Do you regret it? 

A:  And THAT, my friend, is a dumb question. 

I will refer you back to the second sentence of this post.  Of course I regret it and now there are the consequences from my lack-of-foresight decision.  Despite all the capitalization of words, I am not angry, more of that wistful feeling of wishing I could go back in time.  Since that can't happen I'll move on. 

The purpose of this post is to say that someday if you are diagnosed with als, don't put it off, record that beautiful voice of yours! 

Actually, you never know what will happen to you, so why not record something today.  Record a few phrases, or a story, or you reading your kids favorite story OR singing a lullaby.

---------------------------------

*Addition*  
I woke up thinking what I wrote yesterday, in particular, the comment about "a dumb question".   I take that back. Ask away.